Tuesday, May 17, 2011

An unexpected change


Good morning -

We had one awesome new couple this week. Sam and Mary Beth. They are way nice, in their 30's and have a little 4 year old girl. They attend Thomas Road Baptist Church, and are fairly involved there. We talked a lot about the Book of Mormon and what it means to have a prophet. We found out they were moving, so the next day we helped them move from one house to another for a couple of hours. I know that it helped build a relationship of trust and I am looking forward to teaching some more.

This week was full of surprises. We taught a few lessons and gave out some good book of mormons. Thursday, after two days of nothing but fallen through apporintments we did some tracting. We prayed for the Lord to lift our Spirits, so we could enthusiastically spread the gospel. First door we knocked was 84 year old Dorris Glass, she ignored everything we said and asked us to leave. Kind of discouraging. 45 seconds later she called out "you boys want something to drink!?" We took her up on her offer and she allowed us in for Mountain Dew and Deviled eggs (which for some reason the entire fridge was stocked of?). She took us on a tour of her house, gave us a few of her deceased husbands ties and played us a few tunes on the piano. For about 15 minutes I felt my life was in fast forward and I couldn't stop smiling at how odd this situation was. I know Heavenly Father knows us and that chaotic tour was exactly what I needed to brighten my day.

The Next day was similar to the past two, nothing seemed to work out. We came back for our nightly planning and had a knock on the door at 9:10 at night. Seemed strange, so we answered it, only to find a pizza man there holding a pizza for us. It was confusing at first, because no one knew where it came from, and only to hear the 801 number did we realize who the mysterious pizza donor was. Thank you family for being my ministering angel!

My companion and I are beginning to find our stride and Lynchburg is more enjoyable. And right when you get comfortable is when you get ousted. I got a call last night to find out that tomorrow morning I am being transferred to Cave Springs, VA with a new companion Elder Conger. It was a real shock and I thought I would be here at least 6 more weeks. I am looking forward to the new adventure in the coming week. I know I will be living with members and the area is basically a suburb of Roanoke.

I now know that this is the right time for me to go and what I am supposed to learn here is just about through. I am grateful for my time spent and the many experiences I have had.

Much Love-
Elder Dumke

No comments:

Post a Comment