Sunday, March 13, 2011


Hey Fam and Friends -
This is Kim Kelly a baptism upon my arrival in the field. This is what is happening in my neck of the woods, more like the neck to the backwoods.
Soon after sending my email last week we went with the other elders to play dodgeball. First game I went for a ball that flew high in the air and apparently so did another elder. We ran into each other at full speed. I split my chin open on his nose. It was bad and bloody. I spent the rest of the night with two butterfly bandages on a healing wound. Ha It was frustrating at the time, but I can laugh at it now. Try tracting with everyone staring at your chin in wonder. It is healing up now though so NBD.
We have had some awesome lessons this week. I am most excited about this mother Cindy and her 15 year old son Nehemiah (younger brothers are Jeremiah and Zacariah). They are awesome but we are yet to meet the husband. He has 3 degrees in divinity and we have been warned that he will have more Anti than imaginable. His pride is laid up in secular knowledge of God. This week will probably when we will be teaching with him present. I am so excited because I know this gospel will help them so so much, but I will need help from above teaching them. They are for sure our most solid investigators.
We also have been teaching this guy Chris and his friends. We tracted into him during their Liberty bible study. We have met with him a couple of times. It was super awesome. Used to be atheist and a nuclear engineer by the time he was 22. He is wicked smart, after watching a sunset he realized that we more than just carbon and oxygen and that there was some kind of God. He has no dedicated his life to serving Him. He read the whole Book of Mormon in a few days and is caught up in his rational thinking. They are enlightening discussions but we aren't really getting anywhere.
Lastly we taught this Atheist Eric. We talked a lot about prayer and such. At the end of the lesson we showed him the proper format of prayer and he said the closing prayer. As soon as he said "Heavenly Father" the Spirit rushed in like a wall. It would have been impossible for him to Deny a God after that. The rest of the days was hard, all 6 appointments fell through and we got one contact in 2 hours of tracting, but it still felt succesful getting him to pray.
It has been work to integrate normal conversation with Gospel principles, but last week God sent me a tender mercy with Scott. Scott is rebuilding the engine in his mint condition 1968 Mustang Fastback. It was a true joy eyeing his ride. We talked to him for a while and are planning a visit later this week.
Elder Brady and I are getting along well. We have a lot in common and for now he does most of the talking and I bear testimony. We work well together and I know that he is the perfect trainer for me. There is no doubt this work is tough. I have learned to appreciate kind people. Those that slam the door are slamming closing out opportunity to be part of this amazing church. My studies in the morning have taught me so much. Namely when you strive to live and love like Christ it all falls into place. I love you all and can't wait to hear the adventures throughout your lives.
Much Love,
Elder Dumke

No comments:

Post a Comment