Sunday, September 2, 2012

Faith Unto Power

This is from the opening night of Mulitfest. A culture fair for the "many" nationalites of WV.



8/6/12
This week has really been so inspiring. We had a wonderful Zone Leader Council with a discourse on Faith and Hope with Moroni 7 by President Pitt. We then studied it over the next few days and taught it to have the zone on Friday. It was much about how we grow in our ability to exercise faith; from faith unto repentance (doing things) and faith unto power (becoming things). We taught for two hours straight with a short role play. Everyone was really excited about it all afterwards. Sunday night we collected numbers from everyone and saw the effects of faith. The half of the zone that had been taught about faith, almost every area had someone at church on Sunday, while the other half did not. It doubled the numbers of investigators at church, with only half the areas bringing people. It was awesome. Faith is amazing. Why would we choose to not have faith? Where exactly does that get us? We limit our incomprehensible potential if we doubt. Our fears lie in a loss of pride if we don't achieve. We definitely got the chance to put it to action.

Right after teaching this on friday we went to have a lesson with Connie on the Word of Wisdom. 5 minutes before we arrived she called and left a message. She said, "I can't be baptized a mormon. I believe in drinking coffee and tea. I am a pentecostal and Imma stay a pentecostal." You could hear it in her voice that she didn't believe what she was staying. We knocked on the door anyway; "Sister Angel we know your in there come out and talk to us."It was somewhat dissapointing, but it was perfect chance to see that "failure" doesn't have to weaken faith. We prayed she would have a softened heart. The next day she called and explained there was a man in her life that was preventing her from learning the gospel and last night she prayed to find out what she needed to do. She said she'd get rid of him and she wanted to meet again. She came to church yesterday, but she came with her friend who had also been sitting in on the lessons. He seemed to enjoy church too. Amazing miracles.

I still love Charleston and serving with such amazing missionaries. I have felt my nature to begin to change and I love who the gospel has made me. I love the Book of Mormon and the ability it has to answer prayers and questions. Just this morning we had to take someone to the mission office during studies so by the time we got back I had but 2 minutes to study. I prayed to know what element of Commitments we need to focus on teaching at Zone conference on Friday. The Book of Mormon took me to 3NE2, talking about forgetting the signs of Christs coming. It was perfect, because every person we teach forgets their commitment. Anyway that is just a small example. I feel the sustaining power of prayer in my life when it is late or early and I am worn out and here comes a boost of energy. I love being a missionary and I miss you all.

Much Love,
Elder Dumke

No comments:

Post a Comment