Saturday, October 8, 2011

Baptimos



Hola -
 
Happy Labor Day! I will cut straight to the chase ( I am at a members house and very short on time). Our mission has begun to push for member work and let me tell you it is hard. When you are used to knocking doors for hours each day and actually talking  to dozens of people it is difficult to change. It has sort of slowed down the work. This past week we taught just a few lessons on the weekdays, but as we kept the faith we had a strong weekend. On Saturday we extended 3 baptismal commitments. Wayne was one of those! He chose the date of October 30th. He went 10 days without a drink and had 1 beer but has gone another 7 days without a drop. He is doing very well. That night we also saw Greg. We weren't planning on seeing him, but he called us and asked us to come. We said we would be there immediately. He told us he had got in a fight with his Dad and was ready to turn his life around. He needed to change and this experience had humbled him enough to realize the importance of it. We spent the night cheering him up and setting goals. He plans to be baptized October 8th.
 
I went on exchanges with Salem this past week as well. They are on bikes... We biked alot alot. It made me recognize the importance of planning. As we were riding back home it began to mist, then drizzle, then rain, then pour, then flood, then hail! It was a hilariously painful experience. I have never been so wet in my life! The hail stones were the size of foosballs. Needless to say I was grateful to come back to a vehicle.

One of the benefits of being district leader is having the great opportunity to interview a candidate for baptism. The downtown Elders had been referred to this humble man from Mexico City, named Alfredo. He listened, believed and acted on everything they said. In the interview there was a member translating for us, but the Spirit was so strong. I am so grateful that I could be part of it. He was baptized last night.
 
After the baptism we decided to try two followups. One was someone who had been meeting with the missionaries a year ago. We knocked on his door and we talked for a brief while about boy scouts. He is the scout master in his methodist church and was impressed that both my companion and I were eagle scouts. As we transitioned to the gospel he said he couldn't talk right now, but he wanted us back. He said just talking with us "just tickled him, it just tickled him right inside." What an amazing feeling - a burning in the bosom or a tickle inside ha!
 
I love you so much! I am so excited to see the change that has occurred here! And am so thankful for the new friends I have made!
 
Much Love,
Elder Dumke

No comments:

Post a Comment